Saturday, December 18, 2010

Rethink Ch. 8


                This chapter was about how schools can make changes to work better with new technologies. Since we have new ways of teaching it is hard to use the same teaching methods with these new technologies.  If we are teaching students through computer programs, games, and creating it is hard and not fair to assess their learning through such things as the traditional paper and pencil. Schools need to adjust for this different learning by assessing students through performance based assessment.  Interaction with the learning is becoming more in schools. Technology has enabled students to make more personal and active learning is more enjoyable to them and works better with their learning styles. Without technology it is extremely difficult for student to cater to a wide variety of learners. For example, with a computer I teacher can have student learn concepts in a variety of ways such as videos, articles, games, blogs, and much more. Technology allows students to learn, practice, and share information. Learning is more personalized because a student now has easy access to the thing and skills that they have interest in. They are suggesting national certifications where a student works on a certain set of skills and gets certified in their choosing instead of just a general diploma. This is a way for teacher to cater to different students and their interests. At first I was a little shocked at this idea and wasn’t sure how it would work but that changed.  I like this idea because it is extremely to reach students when they are completely intertwined and the think this will encourage a strong base of student participation in schools. The one part I am a bit concerned with is how well students will develop their general basic knowledge for all subjects. In my mind we can just ditch the curriculum we have now but I don’t think the system we have now is strong enough. We can’t just produce one sided students because they need a basis for everything in order to be a well rounded person.  I think it would be a great idea if we combined the two ideas.
                In my future teaching I will definitely take this information into account. One thing I would like to do is give my student a wide variety of ways they can learn something and let them use a couple. I feel that learning in a variety of ways is helpful but being directly told how to learn does not work for a lot of people. I am going to teach elementary education so I don’t think national credit is appropriate but I will give my student the basis they need in order to pursue national credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment