Monday, December 20, 2010

Blogs, Wikis, and podcasts Ch. 9


This chapter was all about the social web and what it has to offer. The social web enables people to interact and communicate with each other when it would be hard to do with other things. This space enables sharing of ideas and thoughts with others which in turn sparks collaboration (two heads are better than one). This makes the social web great for educational purposes because students can discuss or ask questions here. I like this because it is direct feedback that you don’t have to be in school to receive but on the other hand this part of the web can be extremely distracting. I think that if teachers would have started using the social web right away these distractions would have been minimized; but now student are in the mode of using it to share what they are doing and gossip. FaceBook and Ning are two site that are good for discussion; I talk to people on Facebook all the time for a variety of reasons including education.  If you think about it a good reason to use these tools is because students are already using them and you know they will check them.  Also, the social web is a great way to bring in new information because one can connect with experts and learn through socializing. I think this is also motivational because the social web is something students want to be on.
The social web is something I will consider using in my future teaching. I want to teach elementary education and using tools like facebook is a little hard for me to wrap my head around but there is potential. I could see how it could be a very good way to connect with parents, provide resources, and show updates of what is going on in class. Overall, using the social web is a little hard to think about but will more research I may use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment