Sunday, October 17, 2010

Ch. 5 Rethinking Education

                 This chapter discussed the many different parts or seeds of education, there are many different ways and place to learn depending on one’s needs and age. The first part addressed was home schooling. I did not realize that so many children were being home school and the estimated increase of  29% in 4 years is amazing.  I think that is great that parents want to teacher their children at home but at the same time I think they need to be taught by others and at home. My belief is that a child needs to be in a classroom at least part of the time because it is a social as well as academic learning tool. It was interesting to read the example of how it could be beneficial to future families and I agree that under certain circumstances home schooling is beneficial. The main thing is that the parents need to be able to have an extreme amount of influence and the ability to socialize their children. Next, the chapter addressed work place learning. Technology and the knowledge needed in the workplace is constantly changing and even if one goes to school and learns everything in a couple of years they will have to learn more things. This makes workplace learning vital to employees to keep up and a way for companies to avoid constantly rehiring. I thought it was neat how they are developing games for training like they do for children.  The reading also addressed distance education which seems to become more and more common. It enables teachers to teach students from all over the country things that they normally wouldn’t be able to learn. It also enables schools that don’t have funding or the ability to have certain class to make those classes available. Adult learning is also another part of education. It is a great part of lifelong learning and it is more beneficial now days because people are living longer.  I think in some situations learning centers are very beneficial because some students have trouble learning in schools and learning centers are a great assistive tools. I went to a learning center and they are a great way to fill the gaps in education. I like the idea of educational videos, television, and computer games because they are a great supplement to learning. Every child learns differently and this enforces what they learn in a variety of manners.
                In my own classroom I will use many of these tools.  I will definitely use educational computer games and videos in my classroom. I will also give recommendations to learning centers if requested or demined necessary. I also will be more informed about homeschooling for parents who are inquiring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment